Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Guinea Pig

I had a dream last night about my childhood pet, Pig. Yes i had a Guinea Pig named Pig. This is him in all his cuteness with my dog Kelsey...

He was absolutely the greatest. Even my parents loved him. I attempt to take him on walks and I'd let him play in the yard. And i fed him almost anything i could get my hands on. However, his favorite food by far was watermelon. I used to give him a bath every month in our sink and he would paddle around (although he didn't enjoy the water as much as i liked washing him). I used to use dog shampoo and then dry him off with a towel. I would let him run around my room all the time and he had his fair share of accidents, but i always cleaned them up before my parents could find out. I loved taking him to Petco whenever I bought him food or bedding because i would take him in a little carrier of just wrapped in towel and I would show him off to every single person in the store. 

We got him from a woman who didn't want him anymore, and she had bought him from the state fair so he had a little tag in his ear. I really wish that i was young enough to have another pig because despite being rodents, they really are quite affectionate. They usually don't mind being held and every time someone walks into the room they make high pitched squeaking noises and and on the bars of their cage to get attention. 

I used to take Pig downstairs in a box every Christmas morning and show him all of presents. The first year that we got him I begged my parents to get him a stocking and so they got me a very small, plain stocking and i decorated it. Then every Christmas he would get a new water bottle, some treats, and a toy or bedding. I'm not sure if he enjoyed it as much as I did, but he would start squeaking when we opened his stocking so he must have enjoyed it. The most amazing thing was that my dog and Pig got along exceptionally well. The dog that we have now probably would have tried to hunt my pig, but Kelsey snuggled with him whenever he was out of his cage. What a cutie he was :)

1 comment: